23 March 2009

Personal brand or brands - that is the question

Sometimes I actually get a chance to read some of those articles I've bookmarked as "Read later". These are mostly tips from Twitter, and blogs that have not yet earned a place on my Google Reader. But it can also be pages that I already have on RSS, bookmarked, on one of my numerous post-its (yes, I do still use pen and paper...a LOT)

One of those pages are from MediaPost on how to Optimize your personal brand.

A valid point from that post is:
"A lack of personal optimization can be a serious disadvantage in a down economy."

but I also read somewhere about the discrepancy between a strong personal brand and the company brand - which one should take a step back for the other? (lets leave that for another post)

Then we have the question of WHAT to optimize for.
I'm present on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Xing, a couple of business specific communities. I write this blog, and I write for our company blog and I network in "the real world" (some of which ends up online). You get the point!

Frankly, I'm not at all convinced I'd want all of these interlinked. I try to "be myself" within all of these networks, but still I'm not sure if ppl looking at my LinkedIn profile should have access to my vaccation photos. Or that ppl reading our company blog should have easy access to my questions on Google Help Forum.

And there is also NO WAY for me to optimize my output, since I use internet all day, every day, for friends, for work, for smart ass posts like this one and for dumb questions.. and for, well, you name it. :P

I think my take on the matter is quite simple:
Be honest. Everything you "say" CAN be found!
Reward loyalty. My followers on Twitter knows when I've written a new blog post, as do visitors to my LinkedIn profile. And you guys, just got the links to all my online presence...
Be clear on your objective. I'm restrictive with adding Facebook friends, because that is my "inner" personality, and it's not always suited for business (you know,
sometimes I whine ;-) )
And I think twice before I air my views on the company blog.

What's your take on personal brands in general or optimizing them in particular?!

1 comment:

  1. hej hej! tack för din kommentar på min blogg! : ) lägenheten blev toppen, kolla om du vill: http://www.miamakila.com/blogg/?p=3580

    strutsfjädrarna köpte jag på maritimaboden i Norrköping, ring dem om du kanske kan få hemskickat? jag har sett dem på andra ställen i stan också, speciellt affärer med lantlig karaktär...

    om du har riktig tur kan du också hitta dem på tradera, men då får man vara en riktig hök på att söka på strutsfjädrar eller fjäder typ varje dag...

    http://www.tradera.com/Struts-fjader-2st--auktion_88389493

    lycka till! : )

    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for getting involved! :)
Links, feedback, disagreements, pats-on-the-back etc. are more than welcome!

However I will look at comments before activating them, just to shift out inappropriate content - no other censorship should occur.